So, this site fell a bit quiet again over the last… oooh, I dunno, nearly 8 months. Partly, that’s because I didn’t have much to write about, and (stubborn as I am), I refuse to contribute to the ever-expanding web of wiffle just so that my RSS feed contains some more entries.
But it’s also telling that the last blog post just about coincides with the time that I started planning the infrastructure needed to take Flickr from a 1-language interface to 8, a roller-coaster ride of a project which swallowed a lot of my thought-space and eventually time (I was working 16-18 hour days for the last 3 weeks), but which is finally done, and has been live to the world for a whole month now.
I’m proud to have done that, the minor glitches and post-launch issues (which won’t be discussed here, because this is my personal site) aside.
Immediately post-launch I was whisked away on a whirlwind tour (Paris for 24 hours, London for 5 days, Montreal for 3) during which I lost my luggage, had my camera and credit-card stolen, and spent a great deal of the scant “downtime” in interminable conference calls.
I wound up back in the Bay Area about 3 weeks ago seriously exhausted and disoriented, and have been slowly pulling my life back together since then. Which is where we come to this l’il update, and the (undoubtedly sporadic and random) resumption of me posting here.
In short, I’m back, baby!
Coming up, in no particular order (but noted so that you can ridicule me if the posts don’t appear):
- iPhone – yes, I have one. Yes, it’s amazing. Yes, it has a few UI niggles.
- Mojito cupcakes – a recipe from last weekend.
- A couple of quick travelogue-type things:
- San Diego – the lighter side of SoCal, with diversions into Californian history.
- Montreal – cute town, cuter people, Joe Beef, Poutine and my reacquaintance with the French language.
- Web Internationalisation 101 (being a rough draft of a talk I’m putting together).
- Cheese – a rant/ramble on one of my favourite foods.
- The Bastard Son of GTD – How I’m getting things done, without exactly Getting Things Done.
- An update on how I’m faring after 2 1/2 years as a British Californian.
- Sustainable eating in the Bay Area – more thoughts on an old topic.
- Plus, possibly, an extra special bonus item I’m deeply unsure of until I finish writing it.
I’m going for a mix of things I like writing about – food, tech and life as a Brit abroad. Hopefully there will be fewer 8-month gaps in future…