(…being the sound of my social life exploding.)
I really, really hoped that moving up to San Francisco would provide me with less nights in watching DVDs, and more nights out doing random things. And whadya know? The city answered my hopes and then some.
The thing is, San Francisco, despite being far from central to it, really is the Bay Area’s hub. Just by being here you find yourself in the right place at the right time more often than not.
Which means that in the past three weeks or so I have found myself, usually by random:
- Attending a “Valentine’s Night” party which was like a cross between speed-dating, orienteering and alcoholism (er, you probably had to be there).
- At a musicians’ “open mic” night in a coffee shop, followed by many drinks on Haight Street.
- Having lovely dinners/lunches/breakfasts with people I’ve not seen in far too long.
- At a freaky burning-man-related Oakland warehouse party, complete with violin-playing rock groups and giant tesla coils.
- Chilling out listening to the storms crash down and playing board games.
- On a bar-crawl of epic proportions, which ended at 4:30am after two back-to-back house-parties.
- Walking the world’s most ridiculously cute dog in the park.
- Wearing an enormous orange feather boa at an Oscar Night party (commercials replaced by an excellent live band) in an SF warehouse.
And this coming weekend? Hoo boy. Apparently I’ve agreed to…
- Thursday: A music awards after-party.
- Friday: A birthday party.
- Saturday: A “Las Vegas” themed party (not even sure what that’s in aid of).
- Sunday: A pre-SXSW dinner meet-up, followed by seeing The Spinto Band play Du Nord.
…all of which gives me precisely “Monday” to recover, before flying out to Austin TX for 5 full days of SXSW.
Does anyone have any useful alternatives for sleep which provide the restfulness, without the 8 hours of unconsciousness?